Friday, July 24, 2009

Quick project

One of my dearest friends just moved from Austin to Chicago. Sniff, sniff! But lucky for all her folks are in Buffalo which is 2 hours from Toronto. They are visiting for the next week or so and we have plans to go to Buffalo for a visit this weekend. I made some number shirts for her kids upcoming birthdays this September and next June to take to them.

There are a ton of tutorials on how to do this so I won't bore you with too many details. But even if you don't sew you can make this. You need heat and bond from the fabric store.

1. Just enlarge your font of a number, shape, or letter to correct size with your computer and print off your pattern.

2. Next cut out the pattern and reverse it.

3. Trace it onto your heat and bond, make sure you refer to the directions on how to use the product.

4. Then you iron your fabric to your newly traced design onto the heat and bond.

5. Now cut out your design and follow the directions to iron onto the shirt.

I did a simple running stitch to hold the fabric in place. You can get really fancy with your applique stitches but I didn't want to use a lot of thread.

If you don't sew you can still make a quick shirt for a party for the birthday kiddo. But over time and washing the heat and bond glue will loosen. Still it is an inexpensive way to make a cute and personalized gift. You can jazz up onesies for new babies or add to a plain canvas tote, a tea towel, or a banner. Lots of possibilities with projects. One more suggestion is I prewashed the shirts and fabric to avoid shrinking or bunching. You could cover up stains on kids clothes with this technique as well!

I will definately be making more of these as this was a fast and simple project. I love the fabric I used and think my kids and all their friends need a dozen each!!! (Sorry this is a really wordy post... if anyone wants me to take pictures of the process I'd be hapy to do so.)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Love that cupcake fabric!

Man, you have been traveling so much this summer! Very fun!

Jana said...

wow what a great idea! I love those fabrics too.

golonghorns said...

Thanks they were fun to make!