Thursday, August 20, 2009

Refashion

It rained really hard here this evening... but we got a lovely rainbow afterwards!

I still intend to post about more of Nova Scotia, maybe tomorrow....
But last night I found some energy to sew and decided to try my hand at refashioning some boring tops from old navy that I've had for four years. Guess I am more in the mood to write about this today so here goes.

So here you see the tools I used my cutting mat, ruler and my rotary cutter. All I did was use another top with 3/4 length sleeves as a guide. I left a little more length for my seam though.

I don't own a serger and wasn't sure about stitching on the knit so I made a zig zag stitch to keep the fabric from fraying then folded over and pinned down and started stitching.

I put two rows of seams to give it a more polished finish. I have three shirts like this and started with the brown it was my least favorite color and would have been the guinea pig but alas no brown thread. So black it was. I probably really need a serger but overall the end result ain't too shabby for zero loonies, Eh? I am considering actually redoing the side seam to make it more tapered or adding a ruffle at the sleeve base with the leftover fabric. But was kinda thrilled at the prospect of being able to modify clothing and for now am just sharing how it went!

Yikes disregard the clutter and the model without make-up on! And Mom, if you made it all the way through this post there is a new video on the video bar, Hugs and Grins!

7 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

You're like my mom... able to weave magic with a pair of scissors, needles, and thread. I'm totally hopeless in this area!

(Yes, you should visit Vancouver. It's absolutely lovely.)

Diana Ferguson said...

Great job, there!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

That's so cool... I constantly think about what I can take apart and resew... it's a sickness! It turned out really cute too!

Jana said...

I like the sleeves shorter, I love repurposing old clothes, great post thanks for showing us your know how!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

I love rainbows and wow good for you sewing your own clothes. I'm impressed!

You mentioned a cool idea for peppers on my blog. Is there a recipe?? I don't wing it very well:)

Buckeye Kinfolk said...

It is really fun to see what is going on, keep up the good work.
Love, Mom

natalee said...

love your blog im following now